so, upon cleaning out my wallet a few weeks ago, i realized that there were way too many business cards in there that i didn’t need in my wallet but didn’t want to get rid of. the only problem was, i didn’t know where to keep them!! this got the creative gears turning and out popped this business card holder/sorter.
most of these tools are dependent upon what you have and prefer to use. i definitely prefer to use scotch quick dry glue for this project because it has a superior hold and the quick dry property allows this project to flow smoothly and be completed easily without waiting for components to dry.
to begin, i made the cards. i used a kraft cardstock base – measuring 2.25″ x 5″. i covered that with a patterned paper measuring the same size. i rounded the top corners of the card and added the tab – a 1″ circle of cardstock on the back and a 1″ circle of patterned paper on the front.
i then punched 3/16″ holes 2″ up from the bottom of the card, about 1/4″ in from the side.and added gromits to each holei made 27 tabs, one for each letter of the alphabet, and one for random cards that wouldn’t fit under a letter. after all of the cards were complete, i constructed the box.
the box was constructed out of 1/16″ medium weight chipboard. the measurements are as follows:
1 – 5″ x 6.5″ (bottom)
2 – 1.5″ x 6.5″ (sides)
2 – 2″ x 5″ (front/back)
each of the 4 sides of the box were glued to the bottom using scotch quick-dry adhesive. i ran a small bead of glue and stuck each piece together, stabilizing it with my hands until the glue secured the chipboard together. this didn’t take very long.
i then let the box dry while i cut patterned paper to cover it. the measurements are as follows:then i used a scoring board and scissors to get each piece of paper to fit, and glue it onto the box.i added gromits to the front and back of the box to reinforce the holes for the ribbon. then thread ribbon through the holes, and add the dividers.tie a bow in the front, and the box is complete!!!
i have already found this project to be very useful, as well as adorable! as far as difficulty of project, i would give it a 3-4 out of 5. it wasn’t simple, and gave me a few challenges, but once i got the measurements correct, it came out really nice!! so give it a try, and if you have any questions let me know!!